Meet Brian

I was born and grew up in Derry/Londonderry near the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.  I studied law at the University of Bristol in England, qualified as a lawyer, and then returned to college for certification as a secondary English and drama teacher.  After six years in two schools as an English teacher and a head of drama I studied for my master’s degree at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne with Dorothy Heathcote, the legendary teacher and scholar of drama as education.  I moved to the United States in the mid-1980’s to study for my doctorate at Ohio State where I worked with Cecily O’Neill, the leading expert in process drama as an art form.  After two years as an elementary teacher and after receiving my Ph.D. I was a faculty member at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for five years before returning to Columbus to join the faculty in the School of Teaching and Learning in 1996.  I am married with two children.  We also have a cat, called Mr. Spats.  I identify as a British-Irish-American, play the Irish fiddle, like to bicycle and sing, and am Quaker.

Brian&Pat